Today is our one year anniversary of living in Mazatlán. Some times it seems the year has gone really quickly, and at other times it seems as though we have always lived here. We have no regrets.
We’ve learned a lot in the last year.
- We’ve found that people who uproot themselves to make a life in a foreign country are different – adventurous and outgoing.
- We’ve found that people here are very tolerant and accepting. They are friendly and supportive of our efforts to speak Spanish. They work hard.
- We’ve found out that old houses require a lot of maintenance. More than we’d expected!
- We’ve found that we just don’t get tired of being by the ocean.
- I don’t miss very many things….mainly just vegetarian sausage and burgers and good yarn.
- We’ve found that we have acclimated to the weather – our sweet spot indoors is when it’s from 80 – 84 degrees. And most of the year, that’s what it is!
- We like living in Centro. We walk a few blocks and can buy anything we need. If we need to drive somewhere, now that we have a little car, there’s no problem.
- We’ve found that we are fine for reading material.
- We’ve found that the blog is a great way for people back in the US to know what we’re up to and for us to stay somewhat present in their lives. VOIP phones, webcam video calls, and email keep us in touch. I can send e-cards on birthdays. The mail arrives fine here, too.
I could go on and on. But the bottom line is that we’re happy here, and we are looking forward to year two.