As a 30+ year vegetarian, I am always looking for new ways to satisfy my desire for delicious food that is also healthy and easy to make.
When we first moved to México I kept trying to use my favorite cookbooks, but got frustrated with the difficulty in finding exact ingredients. Now I use cookbooks mostly for inspiration as I know what I am likely to find locally.
At the top of this post are five photos you can page through that have become some of my most popular meals.
- A salad made with lovely greens from the organic market that includes kale, arugula, purslane, and sunflower sprouts… topped with warm roasted portobello mushrooms.
- Cauliflower mac & cheese was a recipe I had seen on a low carb website. Both Paul and I really liked it, and it made a hearty lunch along with a nice salad.
- Another low carb meal is a “pasta” made by cutting zucchini into thin strips and adding it to sauteed mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, and pine nuts. Add some parmesan cheese and you have a very satisfying meal.
- Margarita pizza and salad. We make our own pizza often, and my favorite is a margarita or a red onion and black olive. By the way, 00 flour is available in the gourmet aisle at Sam’s Club.
- Black bean and avocado quesadillas are always a standby for me. I always have homemade beans in the fridge, of course!
What are your favorite go-to healthy meals? Maybe share them in the comments?